Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"word to el muerto cucaracha exoskeleton"


so over at hiphopdx.com they have a pretty genius interview with daniel dumile aka viktor vaughn aka zev love x aka king geedorah (gotta love a good godzilla reference) aka metal fingers aka supervillian aka MF DOOM, now known simply as DOOM. i'm not the hugest doom fan, but dude's pretty cool, and anybody who goes around wearing a dr. doom (from fantastic four) mask and letting loose with free associate verbal diarrhea, not to mention having the artistic clout to warrant a remix from recluse and todd-cleary-from-wedding-crashers look-a-like thom yorke, is just an all around good guy.

so anyways, to catch people up, nobody knows what he looks like underneath the mask, and a couple of years ago he got a lot of flack because he sent an "impostor" to a photo shoot in his place, and rumors started circulating that he was doing the same for live shows.

now he's back with a new album, which is i dunno like every other doom album, but this interview raises a bunch of interesting questions. peep excerpt:

HipHopDX: So just to get it out of the way, can you address the recent scandal where you were allegedly sending an impostor to perform in your mask at DOOM concerts?
DOOM:
 [Laughs] Alright. Here's how I look at it, because the wording in there is kinda funny. "Impostor." Impostor would imply that the character. I liken it to this: I'm a director as well as a writer. I choose different characters, I choose their direction and where I want to put them. So who I choose to put as the character is up to me. The character that I hired, he got paid for it. There's no impostor.


would you go see doom if you knew it wasn't him? i wouldn't go see daft punk if i knew that it wasn't thomas and guy-manuel behind the masks, even though it could not be and i'd never know the difference. maybe that's just me being old fashioned....


this probably isn't the dopest thing doom ever released, me being a huge fan of his special fingers instrumental series, but having the audacity err... balls to rock over creedance tickles my fancy.


my computer's now suspiciously working....

No comments:

Post a Comment